A Child’s reading culture is influenced greatly whenever they are exposed to storybooks.
A storybook can be seen as a book containing a story or collection of stories intended for children.
Naturally, children enjoy listening to interesting stories being read to them. From listening to stories, they pick up story books on their own, then other varieties of books. By doing this, they graduate into amazing readers with a formidable reading culture.
Reading culture is a learned practice of seeking information, knowledge, or entertainment through written words.
Educators, parents, and community members should help provide interesting and moral-inclined storybooks to children in order to enhance their reading culture and promote important values.
Storybooks are very important for the growth and development of children. It forms a vital part of the growing process.
The relevance of storybooks cannot be exhausted, here are some vital ones:
1. Builds a child’s vocabulary.
2. Builds confidence while communicating in public.
3. Storybooks develop reading and writing skills.
4. Enhances imaginative and creative thinking skills.
5. Storybooks stimulate curiosity and empathy.
6. It helps children to learn about different values and cultures.
7. Storybook is a good source of information.
8. Reading storybooks can be helpful for relaxation
9. Transmits important literature and themes from one generation to the next.
10. Facilitates language learning and fosters their appreciation of literature.
Strategies for improving healthy reading culture in children.
The following steps will help to nurture good reading habits in children.
1. Choose the right storybook: Select a well-illustrated storybook having the right storyline for the linguistic and cognitive ability of the children. This helps to captivate and retain children’s attention.
2. Set up a reading corner: Set up a reading corner for your kids. Use a small space or a corner of your house for reading. Make it cool and beautiful.
3. Be a reading role model: Being an adult they look up to, you need to show them how much you love reading. Read while they are around and share interesting stories with them.
4: Make reading fun: Try not to enforce reading on children rather make the reading time fun and what they always look forward to.
5. Create a habit of reading to them before bed: Bedtime story exercises the child’s listening skills and helps them fall asleep more easily. Most importantly, it is the easiest way of inculcating the habit of reading in children.
6. Take trips to the library: Taking children to the library helps develop healthy reading habits. They will be able to see other children reading and also be pushed to pick their own choice of book from the shelf.
In conclusion, giving children access to varieties of storybooks is extremely important to light up their love and passion for reading. At Accessible publishers, we have just the right storybooks you need to use and nurture good reading culture in your students to become resourceful people in the future. Check out our catalogue right away and get started.
Don’t forget that reading is important for success in the future lives of our children.
This Post Has 2 Comments
James3 Mar 2023
Thank you very much. What should be in my reading corner? Thanks
Judith Nwafor7 Mar 2023
The following items shouldn’t be missing in your reading corner. A comfortable chair and desk, decorative lights or lamps, motivational stickers and a bookshelf or book crates.