Devising an effective way to study and excel in examinations can be a tedious and challenging task if you don’t know the right way to go about it. But it shouldn’t actually be if you ensure you get adequately prepared on time. Adequate preparation before exams is very crucial as it goes a long way to determining one’s performance after the exams.
Most times, it is not about how long you have studied or how much you have covered within a given period of time but how much you are able to understand and retain in your memory.
Knowing the right way to prepare for your exams is a great step to overcoming stress and anxiety. It gives you the best chance of getting good grades.
Here are practical guidelines that will help you prepare effectively for your exams.
1. Make a realistic revision schedule: Map out time to study different subjects and ensure to mix up the subjects to avoid getting bored. Allot more time on the subject that needs extra attention.
2. Start your revision early: Starting your revision early prevents you from last-minute cramming. It helps you to be able to cover all the topics and understand them before the examination.
3. Summarize your reading materials: By summarizing your reading materials, you will be able to read and understand faster. When it is written in your own choice of words, reading becomes easier and enjoyable.
4. Eat and sleep well: Make sure you take care of yourself while preparing for examinations by eating and sleeping well before reading. This will help you give your undivided attention to your study.
5. Read different materials: While preparing for exams, you should try not to use only one material for your study. Make use of textbooks, notes, and any other materials that can augment your studies.
6. Take short breaks: It can be very hard to concentrate on your book and study for long hours straight. It is advisable to take short breaks in-between your reading time.
7. Review past exam papers: Make sure you go through past questions in other to understand the nature of the exam you are preparing for. This will give you more effective strategies to use for your study.
8. Reward yourself: Set a rewarding process for yourself no matter how small it can be. This will add up as motivation and a driving factor for you to keep reading.
9. Ask for help: If you need help understanding a specific concept or topic, feel free to ask for help. Talk to your mentor, teacher, tutor, or friend to understand the topic better before the exam.
10: Organize group study sessions: Studying and discussing crucial topics with your fellow students will help you tap from each other’s knowledge. This will also help you to retain things and know the areas you are lagging behind.
The above-listed points will expose you to important points you might have been missing all the while you have been writing exams and prepare you for the right result you have always wanted to have.
Effective Ways to Prepare for Exams